Sunday, February 11, 2018

Ferdinand-Ronda



                                                         (1)

I wanted a rhythm of simple buildings for the small town of Ronda.  Simple, open walls punctuated with Spanish motifs, and no more than three stories in height so they would contrast with the taller Madrid structures. I thought there should be a similarity to each other, but didn't want a repeating pattern, esp. when the chase and capture scenes occurred. By using the iconic black wrought iron railings, flower pots, and Terra-Cottar tiles, I hoped to visually tie the buildings together. I did an initial drawing (1), then worked that tiny sketch into a street facade (2). I then had to break out each building, designing the four sides of each initial "facades"repeating the same elements/motifs. I was limited to five buildings, so I tried to make sure each facade had a variance that when rotated could be assembled and combined to represent a number of different street configurations.



Once I had these, I could keep grouping until I got a "block" that looked random. Five buildings with four facades meant we had a little more architectural imagery to work with.  (8-9-10).



Set dressing just had to track the drainpipes/canopies and the occasional gutter collisions, etc. Overall it worked ok, and we were able to keep the large-small-tiny, simplistic look we wanted for Ronda.





No comments: